Training & Certifications
Ocean Lifeguard Training Course (OLTC)
This five-day course teaches prospective lifeguards rescue techniques, surf awareness and policies from the LBTBP SOP Manual. Participants must successfully complete practical and written examinations.
• 25 people took 2016 OLTC (total includes 25 new LBTBP lifeguards).
American Red Cross Certifications
• All 194 LBTBP lifeguards are certified in CPR/AED-FPR, Bloodborne Pathogens and Preventing Disease Transmission (PDT), and Emergency Medical Response or a higher certification.
• 172 LBTBP lifeguards (18+yrs.) are AEO certified.
• 22 LBTBP lifeguards (16-17yrs.) audited the AEO certification course.
Other Training, Certifications & Requirements
• 1 LBTBP lifeguard is a certified Paramedic and 6 LBTBP lifeguards are certified EMT-Basic.
• 54 current lifeguards are New Jersey State Police-Boating Safety Course certified and 34 went on to become PWC Rescue Team.
• 201 LBTBP employees and 99 Beach Badge Program employees completed “Employment Practices” Training (Includes office/HQ/yard personnel).
• 1 LBTBP employee is 100-ton Master Captain licensed.
• All LBTBP first response lifeguards must annually, and did, pass a 500m (550-yard) swim test in 10:00 minutes or less before the summer season.
• All LBTBP lifeguards are annually required to complete a 1000-meter ocean swim and a half-mile paddle board ocean paddle and 194 did.
Beach Badge Checkers
• 94 Beach Badge Checkers (seasonal) including beach supervisors. Average age 18.09 (67 needed working papers).
• 55 are veteran Beach Badge Checkers and 39 are first year Beach Badge Checkers.
• 57 Beach Badge Checkers are female (average age 20.21), 37 Beach Badge Checkers are male (average age 15.97).
• 6 Beach Badge Checkers are current LITs, 7 Beach Badge Checkers are former LITs.
American Red Cross Certifications
• 25 Beach Badge Checkers are certified in CPR-FPR/PDT along with the following:
• 15 Beach Badge Checkers (18+yrs.) are AEO certified.
• 11 Beach Badge Checkers audited the AEO certification course.
• 23 Beach Badge Checkers are AED certified.
• 3 Beach Badge Checkers are EMR certified.
Lifeguard In Training (LIT) Program
The LBTBP LIT Program is designed to teach young men and women, ages 11 through 15, all aspects of ocean lifeguarding.
• 124 former LITs are working as lifeguards for LBTBP (45 women, 79 men) (17 are first year lifeguards and 107 are veteran lifeguards).
• 82 LITs (ages 13 through 15) in two four week sessions; Monday through Friday. First session: 8 women, 26 men. Second session: 13 women, 35 men (Total: 21 women and 61 men).
• Of those that participated in both sessions (32), 8 LITs are women, 24 LITs are men.
• 71 B-LITs (ages 10 and 12) participated in two four week sessions on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. First session: 18 women, 11 men. Second session: 22 women, 20 men.
• Of those that participated in both sessions (26), 14 B-LITs are women, 12 B-LITs are men.
• 11 LITs are certified in ARC-CPR/FPR, ARC-Bloodborne Pathogens and ARC-PDT.
• 12 LITs are certified in ARC-EMR.
• Each LIT passed a 150–yard annual swim test in 2:25 minutes (B-LITs – 2:45) or less before the start of the 2016 LIT Program.
• As part of the LBTBP Lifeguard In Training Program, each LIT completes a portion of the LBTBP Ocean Lifeguard Training Course (OLTC).
• The Long Beach Township Beach Patrol (LBTBP) protects 12 miles of ocean beach for Long Beach Township (which is on Long Beach Island, New Jersey).
• LBTBP normally has at least 2 guards protecting each of its 55 guarded bathing beaches. Fifty-three guarded bathing beaches are on the ocean, and two are on the bay. Each guarded beach area is approximately 700 – 1200 feet long.
• LBTBP is separated into six patrol areas (Loveladies, North Beach, Brant Beach, Beach Haven Crest, Spray Beach, and Holgate). Each patrol has a captain and a lieutenant who manage 20 to 35 lifeguards and approximately 2 miles of beach.
• LBTBP has one of the most extensive beach patrol competition programs in the country; with swimming, paddleboarding, rowing, surf skiing, and running races. Each year, LBTBP guards compete in Long Beach Township, on Long Beach Island, and at places as far away as Ocean City, Maryland, and Newport, Rhode Island.
• LBTBP’s LIT Program, established in 1988, is offered to young men and women ages 10 through 15 (as of June 2016). The LIT Program teaches young men and women the skills and knowledge necessary to become successful ocean lifeguards.
• Every summer, the Ocean Lifeguard Training Courses (OLTC) are offered in June. This five day course teaches prospective lifeguards surf-swimming, paddleboarding, rowing, swimming-rescues, paddleboard rescues, line rescues, and LBTBP procedures and policies.
• Long Beach Township lifeguards protected beaches visited by over 2 million patrons in 2016.
• 194 lifeguards (full and part-time seasonal) including patrol officers. Average age 19.91 (38 needed working papers).
• 169 are veteran lifeguards and 25 (17 former LBTBP LITs) are first year lifeguards.
• 64 lifeguards are women (average age 19.16), 130 lifeguards are men (average age 20.67).
• 14 office/HQ/yard personnel including: 9 at beach patrol headquarters (2 HQ part-time seasonal, 3 yard part-time, 4 HQ full-time) and 5 part-time seasonal at two beach badge offices.
• All LBTBP lifeguards have received Hepatitis B vaccination or have signed a declination form.
• All LBTBP lifeguards must complete the LBTBP Ocean Lifeguard Training Course (OLTC).
• LBTBP received full certification from United States Lifesaving Association (USLA) and North Shore Lifesaving Association (NSLA).
LBTBP (established in 1936) operates a variety of programs, including the Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB) Program (established in 1988), a SCUBA Search & Rescue Team (established in 1990), the Beachwheels Program (established in 1992), which provides beach wheelchairs to people with various permanent or temporary disabilities, and the Personal Water Craft (PWC) Rescue Team (established in 2014).
• LBTBP has 9 SCUBA Divers (PADI certified) including 2 Divemasters, 1 Advanced Open Water Diver, 5 Open Water Divers and 1 Rescue Diver.
• LBTBP has 34 IRB/PWC operators/crew members (all NJSP-BSC certified), 1 IRB/RIB and 3 PWC’s.
• 2 LBTBP lifeguard is certified in Class I Surface Ice Rescue Training.
AED Automated External Defibrillation
AEO Administering Emergency Oxygen
ARC American Red Cross
B-LIT Beginner LIT Program
CPR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
EMR Emergency Medical Response
EMT Emergency Medical Technician
FPR For the Professional Rescuer
IRB Inflatable Rescue Boat
PDT Preventing Disease Transmission
PWC Personal Water Craft
RIB Rigid Inflatable Boat
SOP Standard Operating Procedures